Thursday, December 17, 2015

Reindeer Noses Treat Bags...


My mother lives in an apartment in a dependent/independent living center for seniors. It's a wonderful place in many ways, but a transition from living on your own to senior living can be challenging. As I was thinking about my mother a few months ago, I realized that one thing that is presently lacking in her life is the spirit of giving. Throughout my mother's life she has been an example of thoughtful, kind, and helpful acts of service. I thought if she could perform a small act of service for those around her it would help lift her spirits. I was determined to figure out a project(s) that would be simple enough for a 92 year old woman to put together and distribute to friends...

In the month of October, I gathered the "ingredients" for some little gift sacks, and, while I was visiting my mother, we put them together. I was there when she marched into the dining room and passed out the treats to her new friends and care givers. I knew this act of service would help my mother, but I didn't realize how much it would be appreciated by her friends! They were thrilled to get a little treat similar to this...


Since then, she handed out Thanksgiving treats, and this month she assembled these treats with my sister...


I featured this treat bag on my blog several years ago. At that time I gave them to children in my Sunday school class, but they are a perfect treat for seniors as well. I bought the 4"x6" self sealing bags at Hobby Lobby, printed off the tags (courtesy of Katie Hadfield Designs) onto cardstock, and bought the goodies. You can find "Nice! Cherry Sours" {Rudolph's nose} and Whoppers {Comet, Cupid, Donner, etc.} at Walgreens. All those elements were packed in a box and shipped off to my mother, and once again she delighted in handing out these cute Christmas treats to her friends! I plan on helping to keep the spirit of giving in my mother's life with these small gift bags throughout the year {Valentine's Day, Easter, 4th of July, etc.}.



Sometimes it's difficult to think of something to give the seniors in our lives, but this seems to help with two challenges elderly parents and their children face. First, it's nice to spend time with your elderly parent that isn't associated with paying bills, helping run errands, or other sundry tasks. Sitting and putting together these little bags gave us something to do while we chatted and laughed! Second, for parents who've worked, loved, and cared for others all their lives, it gives them a lift as they express kindness through a cute and thoughtful treat.


Go here for the PDF of the bag topper!